Have you been feeling mentally exhausted? Frustrated? Lacking patience? I’ve been there before. It's common for most people. We're human. Usually when I get in this state, it’s due to a lack of soul care. We often hear about the importance of physical self-care, but when is the last time we really turned to soul care and making sure our soul was rested/cared for?
If you’ve been feeling stuck, in a rut and needing ideas on how to truly care for your soul, hopefully this list will help you.
truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him.
[listed in no particular order]
1. Get some fresh air. [if weather permits, of course]. A walk, a jog, getting outside and just taking time to breathe can be soothing.
2. Make a cup of tea/coffee. This may sound weird, but the warmth is super soothing. Trust me. [favorites: Hot coffee with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, ginger tea, chamomile tea, green tea].
3. Open the Word. Nothing like a good old bible reading time or devotion to get your soul in check.
4. Turn on worship music. As much as I love my Drake and justin Bieber [don’t judge me], I LOVE worship music much much more.
5. Make a healthy snack. [healthy fats + healthy grains= brain food].
6. Spend time with positive, empowering and uplifiting people. Quality time with quality people? Nothing can compare.
7. Dive into your hobbies. For the most part, hobbies have us feeling great, otherwise they wouldn’t be a hobby, right?
8. UNPLUG. No social media, no television. Give your eyes a break.
9. Clean. Okay, I may be crazy, but cleaning and organizing has me feeling SO good.
10. Pick up fresh flowers for yourself.
11. Do something new and exciting. A new exercise class? A new painting class? Do it!
12. Unfollow negative infuences on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc..
13. Watch a sermon video. I love watching sermons from Elevation Church, Christine Caine, Lisa Bevere and Pastor Mike Todd.
14. Journal. Writing [really about anything] can sometimes be so therapeutic. Write out your dreams, your goals, your vision for your future.
15. PRAY. & like, pray BIG.
16. Bake. I’m not a huge baker, but every time I do, I find it SO relaxing!
17. Look through old photos that bring back great memories. I absolutely love doing this. Whether it be an actual photograph or photos on my device.
18. Reflect. Reflect on your life journey. Your accomplishments. The challenges you’ve overcome. The battles that God has brought you out of.
19. On top of reflection, give THANKS. Gratitude is so important.
20. Love on others. My soul is at peace when I make someone feel loved.
Do you follow any of the above practices? What are some ways you go about SOUL CARE?
photos above by yasmin.roohi