LET’S CHAT PROTEIN!
has your diet been in low protein? see more!
each of our bodies are UNIQUE. what works for one, will not necessarily work for another. this is one reason why i generally stay away from sharing my personal day to day macros-because my body is unique + more than likely has different requirements than yours. i say this often because it’s important to know. back to protein- most of us know that protein is crucial for living organisms. it gives us the energy we need, helps our bodies recover + keeps our stomach satisfied throughout the day. it’s composed of long-chain amino acids, which are the building blocks of muscle. [hence why protein in the diet is important for muscle growth + recovery]. our bodies produce 11 amino acids-but the other essential amino acids must be consumed from food. if you feel as though you’ve been protein deficient or aren’t having enough protein, here are some symptoms to be on the lookout for that may indicate this. [please keep in mind that these symptoms may be related to other things, this is a general list of common symptoms-for concerns, please consult with your physician].
SIX COMMON PROTEIN DEFICIENY SYMPTOMS:
1. PROTEIN BALANCES BLOOD SUGAR. if you constantly feel hungry between meals this may be a sign of an imbalance between your carb, sugar + protein intake-with protein being on the lower end.
2. PROTEIN HELPS BUILD MUSCLES, TISSUES + CELLS. if you constantly have muscle pain, or feel muscle weakness in areas where you used to be muscular-this may be a sign of your muscles + joint fluid breaking down instead of tapping into what protein you are eating to help build.
3. PROTEIN HELPS YOU RECOVER FASTER. if you find yourself taking longer than usual to recover from hard workouts, this could be a side effect of not consuming enough protein.
4. PROTEIN HELPS PREVENT FLUID RETENTION. if you find that your body, especially around your feet + ankles, constantly look or feel bloated [due to water retention], this could be a sign of protein deficiency.
5. PROTEIN HELPS WITH ENERGY. if you feel lethargic, sleepy, experience brain fog-this could be due to your blood sugar being imbalanced + a lack of protein.
6. PROTEIN HELPS YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM. constantly catching a cold or feeling sick? protein BUILDS your immune cells.
with all of that being said-one of the best ways to ensure you are eating enough protein without getting TOO fixated on the numbers is to eat a diet with a VARIETY of wholesome nutrients. remember that eating a low amount of calories will lead to your body using the protein you do consume for energy INSTEAD of building your immune system, tissues, muscles, hair, skin, nails, energy levels—all of it. PROTEIN IS IMPORTANT. if you are seeking out more coaching/1 on 1 guidance for HOW MUCH protein your body needs, feel free to submit a contact form inquiry via this website. xo!